I didn't get the Trek 1.5.
I was down at the Trek Store sizing up a frame, when we started talking about the advantages of the Trek 2.1 and the Lemond Tourmalet over the 1.5. Both were the same price; the same amount of money over and above the 1.5; so I asked what the advantage was aside from the upgraded gear components (which would have been nice, but not enough for me to spend the extra money). When I was told that the added carbon fiber in the stays would make for a more comfortable ride over long distances -- especially rides over three hours -- I was sold.
The only question was whether to get the Trek or the Lemond. The only difference in the bikes was that the Lemond featured carbon fiber in both the chain and seat stay, while the Trek only had carbon fiber in the seat stay. The difference was supposed to be minor, but the Lemond is built for distance; the Trek is built for speed.
I chose the Lemond.
I already know from my running experiences that I'm never going to be the fastest thing over long distances. I'm satisfied with maintaining reasonable speeds and hoping that I make like the Energizer Bunny and keep on going.
The other advantage of picking the Lemond was that the frame sizes came in uneven numbers. With the Trek, I would have had to have gone with a 58cm frame. With the Lemond, I could go with the 57cm frame. Those that know me well enough will know about my fixation with the number 57. Lucky number. Lucky bike. Fantastic.
(To be fair, I'm not that obsessive compulsive. I only found out about the uneven number frame sizing after I'd already made the decision to go with the Lemond.)
The bike, pedals and everything else were in stock in the store, so I won't have to wait too long. Everything's still at the store while the bike gets tuned up.
I'm picking it up Sunday.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Shinier Toy Than Expected...
Labels:
comfort,
cycling,
lemond-road-bike,
lemond-tourmalet,
toy,
toys,
triathlon,
upgrading