Wednesday, April 2, 2008

If I'm Going to Be Honest...

It's awful, but I'm kind of hooked to FOX's Moment of Truth.

I say 'kind of', because I don't consider it television I crave to watch. I don't particularly look forward to watching it. I don't feel any regret if I miss parts of, or entire, episodes. Unlike shows I'm truly addicted to (Heroes, the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares, The Amazing Race), I don't record the show if I know I'm not going to be home when it airs.

But I say I'm "hooked" because if I am home, and it's on, I can't turn away. I'm just compelled to watch. I sit there, staring at the television, absolutely slack-jawed and in utter awe of what I'm watching.

This show is FOX TV at its best and worst.

It's FOX at its best because it's utterly compelling television. Typical FOX production values just fit with this show. Even the mock-gravitas of FOX's ridiculously bombastic intros and outtros -- the same crap that drives me utterly up the wall when applied to that abortion that is the American version of Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares -- flawlessly work on Moment of Truth.

"When Moment of Truth returns, watch, as this 28-year-old housewife is willing to destroy every relationship she has..."

"...in her quest for five-hundred thousand dollars."

It's FOX at its worst because it's just trash TV. This is right up there with the type of When Animals Attack or World's Most Gruesome Car Accidents tripe that FOX was infamous for in its formative years -- years when all they really had were The Simpsons and that whole slate of idiotic filler. Actually, since this is still the same network that puts forward Paradise Hotel and Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire, maybe they really haven't come so far. But since this is also the same network that took a chance on Arrested Development and kept it on the air for three years, I'll admit FOX gets a bit of a pass from me.

There is no redeeming value to Moment of Truth. I feel dirty after watching it, yet I can't seem to swear off it. Watching it is like watching a train wreck. I can't seem to turn away.

For anyone who has no idea what I'm talking about (and can't be bother to click on the above link to find out), I will try to explain the concept of the show as briefly as possible.

The premise is that a contestant has to answer twenty-one questions truthfully in order to win five-hundred thousand dollars. The questions get more personal as one gets closer to the big prize. There are levels of winnings -- it isn't all or nothing. Answer six questions and get fifty-thousand, eleven questions for a hundred-thousand, and so on. One can stop at any time and walk away with the winnings ones already accumulated, as long as they stop before the question is asked. Once the question is asked, one has to answer it. Refuse to answer, or answer untruthfully, and you walk away with nothing.

According to FOX, they hook the contestant up to a polygraph beforehand and ask them fifty questions -- twenty-one of which are chosen to be asked again on the show. The results of the polygraph session are what determines whether the contestant is telling the truth or not. And on the show, the contestants are asked these questions in front of a select group of their family and friends.

Before the premiere, I had read articles on this show, had discussions with people in the office, and speculated on the show's direction. It is FOX, after all. Before the show ever aired, we speculated that while initial questions might start off relatively innocuously, we knew it would degenerate into people being asked whether they had ever cheated on their spouses and the like.

It sounded like it could be interesting, but I couldn't help but wonder just how interesting it could be in the long run. I mean, if a person had cheated on their spouse, and the spouse didn't know about it, how many people could possibly be willing to go on a show where they might be forced to admit it? Also, even if they were willing to admit it, why would they do it under those circumstances: in front of both the injured party, and a huge audience?

In asking those rhetorical questions, I'd obviously miscalculated what people are: A) willing to admit on the air, and B) willing to admit for money. I had obviously and completely forgotten that people airing out their dirty laundry in front of an audience is the very reason that Jerry Springer still has a show -- and those people aren't even being offered up the chance at a half-million dollars. I had also underestimated FOX's ability to attract and choose exactly those type of contestants that would ensure the type of jaw-dropping spectacles I've seen in the last few episodes of Moment of Truth.

The producers of the show must really do their homework on these contestants: doing background checks, soliciting personal information, from friends and family, and using such information to frame possible questions. The questions are not from some standard playbook -- they are tailored to each contestant.

The first time I caught the show -- I believe it was the second episode aired -- it seemed relatively tame, at least compared to what I thought FOX was capable of. I recall that some gambling issues were broached, and one male contestant was asked whether he had ever stuffed his pants in order to make himself look 'bigger'. Embarrassing? Sure. Especially given the fact that these questions were asked, and answered, in front of their mothers, fathers, girlfriends, wives, husbands, brothers, best-friends, or whoever. But this was pretty mild.

There were, however, two occasions that caught my attention. One was the guy who was asked, in front of his boss, whether he had ever stolen from his workplace and blamed it on a co-worker. He had. He had to admit it to go on. The other was the contestant (a personal trainer) being asked whether he had ever touched a female client inappropriately while training them. He answered no. He was told that he was lying. Ouch.

On subsequent episodes I've seen, it got worse from there. I've seen guys admit to having slept with their friends' wives. One guy had to admit to keeping a spreadsheet detailing the over one-hundred women he'd slept with. There were men who had to admit that they didn't see long-term futures with their wives or girlfriends. There have been at least two guys admitting to being former male prostitutes. I've seen women who have cheated on their husbands. I've watched them admit that they regretted ever marrying them or that they were in love with somebody else on their wedding day. On one occasion, I saw a woman say, in front of both the former boyfriend and the husband, that they'd be willing to leave the husband if the former boyfriend ever wanted them back.

And I found this all utterly... fascinating.

These people all seem perfectly willing to destroy their lives for money. And for my amusement. It's all so incredibly entertaining. And quite sad.

As I watched, I kept wondering about the contestants -- the type of people they are, their psychology and all of their decision making processes. These people were on TV, admitting some of the most horribly hurtful stuff to their partners and friends, their parents and their children. I kept wondering how they got themselves into the position where they both had to admit such things, and to admit them in front of the very people they would hurt the most. It boggled my mind -- especially since some of them seem genuinely anguished when they have to admit their transgressions. Then there are the contestants that seemed far too cool and collected -- the ones that were perfectly comfortable telling hurtful truths in order to get the money, even if it meant they'd thrown away relationships to do it. Was this some type of cleansing process for them? Were they so racked by guilt that they had to admit these things? And was the thought that if they had face the repercussions of such admissions, they might as well get some money for it?

These are the type of people I just don't understand. And these are the type of people that keep me watching this show. The worse is gets, the more compelling it is.

FOX knows this. The promos for tonight's season finale are just nuts.

"Previously, on Moment of Truth, you've watched as [insert contestant's name here] ruined her relationships in her quest for five-hundred-thousand dollars. In the season finale, see what [insert another contestant's name here] is willing to admit to in order to win the money. WE'VE SAVED THE WORST FOR LAST!"

I'm not making this shit up.

I can't believe I just wasted my time writing a 1,500 word essay on such drivel.

Or maybe I can. Maybe this was my cleansing -- my Moment of Truth. I just had to admit that I've contributed to the high ratings for this show. That I'm at least partially responsible for keeping this affront to Western Society on the air.

I'm so sorry for disappointing every one of you.

Now where's my money?

No comments: