Wednesday, April 22, 2009

@&%#!*$ Loblaws!!1!!!eleventy-one!!

Why, oh why, must my Loblaws insist on rearranging things every bloody month or two? It's a good thing that the refrigeration and freezer units; vegetable bins and bread shelves are bolted in place, or I'd probably go in and find the entire floor plan changed at the beginning of every fiscal quarter.

That doesn't stop them from rearranging things whenever they can. If I'm lucky, they will just have shifted the salt to the other end of the aisle. At its most frustrating, I'm hunting everywhere for that can of tomatoes, just to find them at the opposite end of the store from where they were last freaking week.

I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if did large shopping trips, figuring out everything I need for the next seven to ten days and going in having to do a full sweep of the supermarket anyway. But I don't shop like that. I grab a few things at a time, four or five times a week.

See... you can do that when you live right on top of a freaking supermarket. I can't say that having really easy access to groceries was the primary factor for choosing to live where I live, but it was a pretty big one. I can shop when it's less crowded. I don't worry about fruit or vegetable spoilage. I can plan meals without having to put too much forethought into it.

You know what's also nice about living right above a supermarket? Say you've got a roast in the oven, the potatoes are simmering, and you're gathering the stuff to make gravy, but you take the container out of the cupboard and realise that you're low on gravy crystals. It's already 9:45pm. You're starving. You'd probably just make do without gravy, right?

What I get to do is to ride down the elevator, jog through my underground access into Loblaws; head straight for the aisle with all the gravy powders, crystals and mixes; grab the container I want, breeze through the self-checkout, and head back up to my apartment. All inside of five minutes.

Or, it would have been inside of five minutes if I didn't get down there and spend another five minutes searching, because they'd moved the goddamn Bisto three aisles over!!!

You know, when I lived elsewhere and shopped in other supermarkets, I don't remember such wanton levels of rearrangement, at least not at the frequencies I see now.

Maybe it's just my supermarket. Maybe others are better about just leaving things where they're supposed to be. I'll never know, because what am I going to do? Start shopping at the other supermarket fifteen minutes away? That's crazy talk. With my luck, I'd inconvenience myself for two months, just to find out every other supermarket is in on the rearrangement plan.

So Loblaws has me over a barrel. And my only recourse is to vent about it.

I swear to God I'm suing their asses if my kitchen ever burns down because I can't find the cumin.

No comments: