Monday, July 7, 2008

Mind Over Matter...

Son of a bitch.

I can't be getting sick again. Not now. Not mere weeks after getting over that last four-week long chest cold. Not with less than four weeks until I'm supposed to be participating in the Owen Sound Sprint Triathlon.

This is not happening. It can not be happening. It must not be happening. It will not be happening.

Not if I bloody well have anything to say about it, anyway.

I woke up yesterday morning feeling like crap. That I was feeling drained wasn't surprising, considering that I'd been going on less than six-hours of sleep a night for seven days in a row. It wasn't quite as easy, however, explaining away the nasal congestion and the slight cough. I couldn't go back to sleep -- the only reason I was up at 7:30am was because Rob was coming down for a run.

Once I got through my normal morning routine, I was feeling a bit better. By the time the 10K run was over, the endorphins had me feeling better than normal. But the twenty minute sneezing and nose-blowing session that afternoon, and the ten minute coughing session I had earlier today is still giving me cause for concern.

It's vital that I get through the next four weeks. I have a crap-load of work to get done at the office. I'm planning Shahid's bachelor getaway scheduled for two weeks from now, and I need to be full mental capacity for the wedding in four weeks. I have that blasted triathlon on August 3rd. I need to swim my ass off in the next three weeks to make up for the fact that I haven't been in the water since mid-February. I have a bike ride scheduled with Andrea Saturday afternoon, and I need to fit in a brick workout with Rob sometime in the next three weekends. I'm still getting my conditioning back for the last three-week sickness layoff.

I CAN'T FUCKING GET SICK NOW.

This is going to be a matter of sheer will: mind over matter, brain vs. body.

I have to be smart about this.

Fortunately, I'd already scheduled today as a rest day, so there was no guilt over sitting on my ass all evening and not exerting myself with a Crossfit session, a run or a bike ride.

Next thing is to make sure I get at least eight hours of sleep tonight and get my rest.

Speaking of which... I'm going to stop bitching now and go do just that.

2 comments:

CthaWorld said...

Rx: Chicken soup w/ garlic, my friend...

Doug said...

I did the chicken soup thing a couple of weeks ago when I was fighting off that virus full-bore. I lost five pounds in a week. I can't afford that right now since I'm in full training mode for a sprint tri. Need to keep my weight and energy levels up. Maybe boatloads of chicken *congee* with lots of garlic...