Saturday, May 24, 2008

Family Wedding Shenanigans...

My cousin Andrea is getting married this afternoon.

Since my grandparents will also be having their sixty-fifth anniversary later this year, the family is using this occasion to hold a full reunion. My parents are back from Hong Kong. Everyone from Vancouver has flown in. So everyone's here. My grandparents. All eight sisters. Eleven cousins. All the various spouses that were stupid enough to marry in. With Mike now officially joining the family, there are twenty-nine of us. Tomorrow afternoon, the entire group is going up to Blue Mountain and Collingwood for two days. It should be fun, even if I'll have to field multitudes of questions over why I'm still single.

There has been growing concern, within the family, over the fact that I'm single, of marrying age, and seemingly doing very little to correct this obviously lamentable situation. I think, in their own demented ways, they are trying to grease the wheels of this process by having me front-and-centre, slowly escorting the Mother-of-the-Bride (my aunt, obviously) down the aisle this afternoon. I think they think that this 'parading' will have me catching the eye of any number of single, eligible women at the wedding. I think they're all nuts.

Andrea is an only child so, I guess, in lieu of having a member of the wedding party do this, one of my aunt's many nephews would be a logical choice. But from a hierarchical point of view, I'm not the oldest. I'm not the closest to my aunt. There is no other reason for me to be doing this.

There will those of you reading this that are thinking that I'm just being paranoid.

Those of you are the ones that have never met my mother's side of the family.