Saturday, March 8, 2008

Crap...

The last five days have been nothing but utter festering pustules.

I got absolutely nothing of consequence accomplished. NOTHING.

I got sick on Monday. Despite my actually being sensible and nursing it with plenty of rest, chicken soup, Cold-FX and other assorted drugs, it's lasted (lasting!) over five days now. I think I'm seeing the end of the tunnel, but it means I've been tired and fuzzy-headed all week. I certainly haven't worked out while sick. Haven't run since last Friday. Haven't touched any weights or a pull-up bar since last Thursday. Haven't been in the pool for almost two weeks. Needless to say, I'm starting to feel like a bit of a doughboy.

I took Monday off as a sick day. I went in on Tuesday out of a sense of obligation and guilt, despite actually feeling sicker that day. Wednesday, I didn't make it into the office on account of the snow storm. Regardless, I was still sick and ended up only working the morning, while napping the entire afternoon. Even when I was working during the week, it was just one idiotic fire-fighting mission after another. Last week was month-end and, for some reason, our mainframe and all our various reporting systems decided to stick their figurative heads up their asses and come up with reconciliation error after reconciliation error after reconciliation error. I spent the entire week pulling and verifying levels of source data. I made no progress on any of the projects my group has piling up.

Also on Monday, the AC adapter on my laptop decided to finally give up the ghost. It had been acting strange for about two weeks. By Monday, I could do nothing to nurse it into any semblance of functionality. It went pining for the fjords. By the time I'd noticed it was pining, I was down to my last ninety minutes of battery power. I ended up using thirty minutes of that power backing up some files to an external drive. Now, I just acquired a new system last week, but I hadn't had time to install software or transfer my files. Without my laptop, I had no Photoshop, no Office, nothing. I called Dell immediately and arranged for a new adapter to be sent, but it didn't end up arriving until Friday. Thus, I was able to do no photo-work (I was supposed to process some St. Lawrence Market images, and some images from last weekend), nor was I able to make any headway on sorting out the business deductions for my tax returns.

What an utter and complete waste of time.

No comments: